Lindum were asked to investigate pallet instability and pallet wrap snapping issues as well as undertake a transit packaging audit
After a LIPS we ascertained more efficient pallet wrapping films would reduce packaging costs and also environmental impact. A perfect example of why we say; “it’s not how much a roll of wrap costs, but what you can wrap with it that matters”.
Westbury switched lines 1 and 2 to using Carestretch™ 517S film, and switched line 3 to using Carewrap™ film. To improve stability we recommended that the overlap on the wrap was increased from 50mm to 200mm increasing film usage. That increase was far outweighed by a more efficient film and fewer damaged pallets.
- On lines 1 and 2 using Carestretch™ 517S film reduced the weight of film used per pallet from 338g to 158g whilst increasing pallet stability
- On line 3 using Carewrap™ reduced the weight of film per pallet from 338g to 158g whilst again increasing pallet stability
- Less waste through a reduction of 64% in the amount of pallet wrap used. This means a packaging waste and environmental saving of more than 15 tonnes
- Less cost by using higher performance wrap and film which equated to a saving of 46%
- Less downtime through less roll changes. Carestretch film on lines 1 and 2 wraps 52 more pallets per roll and Carewrap on line 3 wraps 45 more pallets. This more than halves the operator time spent changing rolls
- Less stockholding required as a pallet of Carestretch will wrap 4,278 pallets compared to 1,886 pallets.
- Increased customer satisfaction through better presented pallets, fewer stability issues and less waste
- Improved productivity and happier operators. Better products performing as they should.