Faccenda Foods invited Lindum to audit and assess the packaging operations at each site in order to:
- Identify potential to reduce costs and packaging waste
- Streamline supply of transit packaging lines across all sites
- Implement more efficient packaging processes
Findings and Solutions:
We identified the following opportunities for improvement across the 6 sites:
- Machine pallet wrap – Across all sites costs and waste were reduced by using higher yield machine Carestretch™ and Carewrap™ films and optimising the machine settings. In some cases, replacement palletwrap machinery was provided to reduce costs and waste even further.
- Hand pallet wrap – All sites were standardized to use the most cost effective Carewrap™ film. This provides enhanced operator efficiencies and the lowest possible cost per wrapped pallet. Performance issues with the incumbent film were resolved, and use of a Carepole dispenser at some sites reduces operator effort and risk of RSI.
- Hand tape – Longer rolls were introduced to reduce downtime and reduce waste due to less cores. Also, a standardized specification was implemented across the group.
- Machine tape – a standardized specification was implemented to reduce cost across the group.
- Less Cost – Annual Cost Saving of 23%
- Less Waste – Annual Waste Saving of 52,435.05kg
- Less Risk – Pallet containment force improved or maintained, fewer RSI claims from operators wrapping pallets using Carepole
- Less Hassle – One supplier across all sites and multiple SKUs
- Less Downtime – New machinery installed where required to improve efficiency
What Faccenda had to say:
About the machinery:
“Extremely happy with the wrappers… making my staff members daily tasks easier has been easily achieved. Highly recommended, hope to do business again soon.…” – Wayne Burden, Production Section Manager
About the savings:
“In an industry that is really competitive, achieving marginal gains throughout our business can make a big difference. The support Lindum have provided has benefited our people, our business and also the environment. I don’t think anyone can ask for more than that.” – Amber Mattock, Procurement Manager